Subject Intent: Why Business?
Key contemporary developments in the labour market such as digital technology, big data and the impact of globalisation are considered within the business curriculum. Opportunities to interact with industry is firmly embedded in the curriculum and students have regular opportunities to apply key employability skills in both the classroom and in the wider work-related opportunities that being a business student offers.
What will I study?
- Business as a whole, including ownership, stakeholders and aims of the business
- Key functional areas – HR, Marketing, Operations and Finance
- Business in the context of the external environment and the competition in the market
- Analysing key performance indicators in finance, marketing and HR
- The impact of threats in the business environment and the extents to which different businesses are affected
- Investment appraisal
- Innovation in business in product and process
- Managing change
- Business operations in international markets
Please note: Subject videos have been filmed from colleges across our Trust.
What are lessons like in this subject?
In Business lessons you will examine the everyday decisions made by businesses through case studies of a variety of firms, from the large well known multinationals, to small local independent ones. We use a combination of individual, paired and group work to develop your analysis and evaluation skills, through tasks such as responding to exam questions, building and delivering presentations, financial calculations, business games, simulations and role-play case studies. We will have trips to local businesses to see the application of theory in practice in real life, as well as to develop employability skills.
We have teaching classrooms and IT suites for use in lessons, and we will use Microsoft Teams as a library for all teaching resources as well as setting and collecting independent work.
I have really enjoyed expanding my knowledge on how businesses operate and the marketplace during my time at college. I have learnt many valuable skills (such as, financial management), which will help me in the future. I would definitely recommend the course!”
Grace Lonsdale, The Kings School