Application Deadline and Interview Dates
- Please be aware there is a cut off point for applications once we receive 100 applications a waiting list will be started.
- Upcoming interview dates for Art Foundation are 16th November 2022, 7th December 2022, 18th January 2023.
The Art Foundation studio holds open events on the same days as the first two New College Pontefract open events – Check back here for details of these events for September 2024 entry soon…. This is a great opportunity for you, as Year 13 students, and your parents/guardians to come and visit the Foundation space and speak to current students about their work. Tutors will be available to discuss the aims of the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design and how to apply. Refreshments will be available. (Come and have a cuppa and a chat)
As part of this course you will explore a wide range of media, materials and ideas before deciding a specialism. This exploratory phase will develop your drawing skills, creativity and visual thinking.
After you have worked through the exploratory phase of the course you will pick one of four specialisms to work within. You will produce work designed to show your skills in this area and build a portfolio for interviews.
- Fine art: painting, drawing, 3D, sculpture photography, print, video installation
- Visual communication: graphic design, illustration, photography animation, printing
- Textiles: fashion, surface pattern, costume design, embroidery
- 3D: sculpture, interior design, furniture, architecture
The course will conclude with a final major project and exhibition of your work. The course will also provide you with a level 3 qualification.
APPLY NOW TO STUDY WITH US
ART & DESIGN
To succeed on a Foundation Diploma you will have had to have coped well at A-level or level 3 BTEC in a visual arts subject.
You must have five GCSE passes at grades A* – C (including English or Maths). If you have not studied a visual arts subject at level 3 then we will ask you to present a portfolio of work at interview.
Current New College Students
The above course can only be accessed if a students behaviour, attendance and staff reports are satisfactory. Ultimately the decision to allow a student to progress to the foundation diploma will be at Vice Principal’s discretion.
What are the advantages of studying at New College
- Enthusiastic, energetic and knowledgeable staff
- Individual student work spaces
- Fantastic art facilities
- Apple Mac computers with industry standard software
- Supportive and exciting college environment
- Access to photographic darkrooms
- Individual one to one support
- A fantastic careers team to help you progress to university or into a job
Here’s a helpful link to take a look at what careers a Foundation Art diploma can offer:
The Art Foundation course has tripled my confidence as an artist and given me the ability to believe that I can do whatever is thrown at me. I now 110% back myself and my ability, all thanks to this past year.
Skyla West, Art Foundation Student
APPLY NOW TO STUDY WITH US