As part of this course you will explore a wide range of media, materials and ideas before deciding a specialism. This exploratory phase will develop your drawing skills, creativity and visual thinking.
After you have worked through the exploratory phase of the course you will pick one of four specialisms to work within. You will produce work designed to show your skills in this area and build a portfolio for interviews.
- Fine art: painting, drawing, 3D, sculpture photography, print, video installation
- Visual communication: graphic design, illustration, photography animation, printing
- Textiles: fashion, surface pattern, costume design, embroidery
- 3D: sculpture, interior design, furniture, architecture
The course will conclude with a final major project and exhibition of your work. The course will also provide you with a level 3 qualification.
ART & DESIGN
To succeed on a Foundation Diploma you will have had to have coped well at A-level or level 3 BTEC in a visual arts subject.
You must have five GCSE passes at grades A* – C (including English or Maths). If you have not studied a visual arts subject at level 3 then we will ask you to present a portfolio of work at interview.
Current New College Students
The above course can only be accessed if a students behaviour, attendance and staff reports are satisfactory. Ultimately the decision to allow a student to progress to the foundation diploma will be at Vice Principal’s discretion.
What are the advantages of studying at New College
- Enthusiastic, energetic and knowledgeable staff
- Individual student work spaces
- Fantastic art facilities
- Apple Mac computers with industry standard software
- Supportive and exciting college environment
- Access to photographic darkrooms
- Individual one to one support
- A fantastic careers team to help you progress to university or into a job
Here’s a helpful link to take a look at what careers a Foundation Art diploma can offer: