Subject Intent: Why Law?
Law provides a grounding and basis for students to become an informed citizen. Our curriculum helps to develop Fundamental British Values of students by reviewing the rule of law, how key cases have helped to shape the English legal system and their impact on society. Through studying Law students also develop individual liberty and mutual respect for an awareness of others. Our curriculum also enables our students to review different viewpoints from individuals and make informed decisions based on evidence, leading to many careers within the field of law such as legal clerks, barristers or becoming a judge.
Why should I study this subject?
Law offers you an interesting insight into the main principles of the English Legal System. Law is both an interesting and challenging subject to undertake. The areas that you will study in the A-Level Law course have direct relevance to many aspects of everyday life. By studying the A-Level Law course you will gain a solid foundation to pursue law in the future either through university or an Apprenticeship.
What will I study?
• English Legal System: Criminal Courts and Lay People, Legal Profession, Civil Courts and Funding
• Criminal Law: General Elements, Non-fatal Offences, Fatal Offences, Property Offences, Mental Capacity Defences and General Defences
• Law Making: Legislation and delegated legislation, Law Reform, European Law, Judicial Precedent and Statutory interpretation
• Tort Law: Negligence, Vicarious Liability, Occupiers Liability, Torts connected to land and Defences and Remedies
• Nature of Law: Justice, Society, Morality and Technology
• Human Rights: Human Rights Act, Articles under the European Convention of Human rights, Enforcement and Protection of Human Rights
What are the entry requirements?
Please check this subject table for full details of our A Level entry requirements.
“Law is an amazing subject which is really engaging. The content studied is interesting and the course also helps to develop other key skills like analysis. I would encourage anyone who is interested in law or the legal system to take it.” Georgia Kingston – Royds School