apply

New College helps student aim high

Helping students achieve their ideal career is one of the college’s core goals. Whether that involves getting a place at a top university, or moving straight into the world of work, staff from across the college work hard at giving young people the best possible support.

Elton Hove’s long-term career goal has always been one of the most difficult to achieve: becoming a professional airline pilot. But now, thanks to the outstanding support of staff, his goal is a real possibility following an award to fund his private pilot’s licence.

Elton secured a voluntary placement including working every weekend at the Yorkshire Aero Club, based at the Doncaster Sheffield Airport. Following his experience meeting and working alongside pilots and flight instructors, he was able to apply for a scholarship from the Honourable Company of Air Pilots.

“The interview process in London was highly competitive,” said Jayne Ramskill, Work Placement Co-ordinator. “Elton was selected from almost 500 applicants to secure one of only eight scholarships on offer.”

“I am very fortunate to have been awarded the scholarship,” said Elton. “It provides me with the opportunity to complete my PPL at the Yorkshire Aero Club this summer, helping me pursue my dream of becoming a commercial airline pilot. I couldn’t have done this without the support of Jayne.”

Enabling Elton to successfully access the award has ensured that he has a chance to become a commercial pilot.

“I am extremely proud of Elton, his determination and commitment to succeed is outstanding!” said Jayne. 

New Collaborative Learning Trust New College Pontefract Logo New College Doncaster Logo New College Bradford Logo Wingfield Academy Anston Greenlands Primary School Redscope Primary School Thorpe Hesley Primary School
New Collaborative Learning Trust
Ofsted Outstanding Provider Logo
Teaching School Hub Selby and Wakefield Logo
TES logo
Disability Confident Employer logo
Physical Eduation Quality Mark
TASS Dual Career Accredited
SCL Sports Leaders Logo
Investors in Diversity Logo
Proud to be Fredie, fairness in the workplace  Logo
Connected Campus Logo

Click here to login to

Cedar Logo